Monday, September 7, 2009

Lemons

When life serves you lemons, you sell them to someone who likes lemons.

So I haven't written since March. I can't say I'm surprised at myself. My blog entries are about as frequent as my journal entries. Which is to say they are less frequent than hurricanes hitting the east coast. Not that much has happened since March. Only life changing events, but they happen every day anyway.

Where to begin? I'll be a rebel and start at the end. The story always makes sense that way.

Life was uneventful after March. That's probably why I forgot about writing. Then July came, and things were looking so promising. I walked into a meeting at work to be handed the news that the owner of the company just sold it three days prior. The purchasing company was much larger than ours and, as luck would have it, they already had people doing my job. What an opportunity to get laid off! I did odd jobs for the next few weeks while the company shut down, but after that, my steady source of income that I'd had for three years went completely dry.

Hmm, what to do. At this point I had two options:
A: Get a new job.
B: Go back to school.

At this stage in my life, and at all stages prior, looking for a job didn't sound very appealing. There are very few things I hate worse than looking for a job. Having my eyes sucked from their sockets and going through stages of shingles are probably the only two that trump it. Now that I think on it, looking for a job would produce enough stress to flare up my shingles, so those are likely mutually exhaustive.

So its either stress myself the hell out or go back to school. School it is. Wise choice. Sure, there are stresses that go along with school. Application, admission, financial aid, appeals for financial aid, filing for unemployment, books, tuition, fees, travel, and moving to Pocatello. I'm surprised I don't have shingles already.

So here I am in the second week of my Information Technology Systems program. Its a piece of cake so far. Chocolate cake with sprinkles. I'm still looking for a place to live in Pocatello, but everything else is sorted out. All I have to do is learn about network security, Virtual LANs, subnets, virtual networks, private networks, and so on. I can feel the shingles coming already.

Life served me lemons. I hate lemonade. Almost as much as looking for a job.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so who did you sell your lemons to?

Geritt said...

Steve Jobs. Say hello to the Lemon Mac.